Click on this picture to return to the Auckland Deco page.
Old Broadcasting Building, 74 Shortland Street, the City. Architect: Norman Wade & Alva Bartly. Built for 1YA Radio Station in 1935 and used for radio broadcasting until 1960, when conversion into TV studio began. Thick, windowless walls were necessary to block sound. interior features elaborate decorative work. Main foyer has a coloured glass dome, with a lantern above it, encircled by elaborately decorated plaster painted with seven colours. It currently houses a recording studio.